Sunday, July 10, 2011

Parallel Episodes: Introduction

About a year ago, when my brother was just getting into Stargate I sat down to watch an episode with him. Ten minutes in I had the unsettling feeling that I recognized it. That wasn't possible; the only times I'd watched Stargate was with him, and he didn't watch them twice, and besides, there were parts I knew were new. So what was it? Ten minutes later I figured it out and almost quit watching the episode because I knew exactly what was going to happen, the entire plot of the episode and the ending. I had seen it before, but not on Stargate. It was a Star Trek episode.

Sure enough, the entire plot played out as I predicted, to my brother's annoyance. Suddenly I began to see resemblances in other episodes from other things, and I realized that storylines could be duplicated... and I call them parallel episodes.

Every good science fiction geek knows that every time you make a decision a parallel world is created. Well, here's a new one for you to remember; every time you create a Science Fiction show a parallel episode is created, and that's what this series is here to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment