Friday, October 21, 2011

Never Say Never....

When I was writing Prince of Yen I was never going to write an epic battle scene. I was Never going to write adult fiction. I was Never going to write anything but fairytales. I was certainly Never going to write non-fiction.

I had my box, I liked my box, and I was never going to leave it. But the Ideas outside of the box broke down my barriers and restrictions and crept in simply to spite me. I had dreams that begged to be stories. I wrote fantasy that got increasingly darker. Magic, sorcery, mind control, murder, blood even, the list went on until I shuddered at my ability to write what I'd sworn never to write and switched to science fiction, abruptly breaking another Never.

I've Never liked superheroes. I always thought they were too perfect, too corny, too outdated, and too completely unrealistic. I hated Supervillains even more. The entire genre was the last thing on earth I thought I would find myself writing.... until two weeks ago. Now I have a telepathic tinkering genius teenager who's really an alien prince fighting a revolution. While trapped on earth he is unaware of his true identity and spends his time building gadgets, wearing capes, and saving people from imminent disaster like any true Superhero would. His weakness is his dreams and his enemies are people of his own race, come from his home planet to find him.

I've Never written fan fiction. I prefer to create my own characters. I couldn't fathom working with anyone else's. See this account here? A Teaspoon and an Open Mind.Yup, that's me. Writing fan fiction.

I was also Never going to waste time on a TV show. Guess what above fanfics are about?

As for Never writing non-fiction... well, look around. I write it twice a week, and I like it. All I can conclude is that I'll Never say I'll Never write something again because the minute I do it seems it comes back laugh at me when I find the words I would Never write flowing out of my pen.

What are your Nevers and how have they overcome you?

4 comments:

  1. Doctor Who fanfiction? *SQUEES* I have a link to my account on my main blog, but the name's Vilanye if you're interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you got a link to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.thewordsmithsshelf.blogspot.com is primary
    www.thedyingsstars.blogspot.com is Whovian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I had any spoken "nevers", but I certainly had a comfort zone, and I've certainly made myself step outside it.

    Oh, the one never would be horror. I was never, EVER going to write that, because it was unChristian, or so I thought. But a good friend and some wise councilors taught me otherwise, and it's becoming one of my favorite genres to write.

    ReplyDelete