Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Tale of Pirate Shishkabob

For years there have been rumors, vague whispers in the dark, obscure references, and cryptic status messages. Many are excited about it, but for most the question remains: "What is The Tale of Pirate Shishkabob?"

Once upon a time there was a pirate known as Shishkabob. He was a great and terrible pirate. His flag was feared all over the seven seas. 

Pirate Shishkabob is a children's book I wrote two years ago. It came about when my brother, dressed as a pirate, was helping us make shishkabobs one night. All my life I'd thought they were called simply kabobs and it was a startling discovery to find that was a mere abbreviation. It was a fun word to say, and it was a fun title to apply to my pirate brother who loved the dish. Add in the fact that skewers work wonderfully as swords and we had ourselves and entire role play worked out. Thus the character of Pirate Shishkabob was created, and this is his story.

Summer of 2010 I was looking for an illustrator for two children's stories I had written. Shishkabob was one of them. I mentioned this fact on a forum thread, and it was seen by another member. We got to e-mailing, she sent me some concept art, and Pirate Shishkabob walked into full color for the first time. I was completely convinced, and we worked together on an outline. By December she'd sent me over thirty pages of artwork, and the tedious process of formatting began.

My on-again, off-again work schedule slowed the process down considerably, and it wasn't until Summer 2011 that I finally started serious work on Shishkabob again. In the end of November I finished my first in a very long line of interior pdf files, and am in the midst of an ongoing battle with margins, print resolution, and the blurring of blank pages. However, it is looking hopeful that this project will be finished shortly, and thus I present to you what is likely to be my first published work!

The Tale of Pirate Shishkabob is a delightful 45 page picture book that tells of the adventures of some very hungry pirates. Illustrated in vivid colored pencils, it even includes a recipe in the back so that you can make your own Piratey Shishkabobs when you've finished the story. 

2 comments: